Still have some holiday shopping to get done? Want to support some Minnesota artists and stores while you’re at it? Here are a few ideas for what to get any guy or gal in your life:
1. North winter hat from Askov Finlayson – $24 – The perfect everyday hat for the sub-zero temperature dwelling person in your life. I wish I had one of these on hand the past few days to combat how miserably cold it’s been in these parts. Love the bright colors and classic pom.
2. “Half About Being a Woman” by Caroline Smith – I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve listened to Caroline’s new album. It’s full of soulful, warm, catchy goodness and I’d gladly gift it to any of my friends. My favorite track is “The One Thing.” Take a listen and be sure to see one of her shows next time she’s in your area.
3. Decorative deer pillow by regansbrain – $39 – Cute design, cute color scheme, cute gift. This Etsy shop has all kinds of pillows in different patterns and colors and are all made here in the Twin Cities.
4. Black, white and gold necklace from Maurices – $14 – I sometimes forget that Maurices is based here in Minnesota since they have stores all over the U.S. But the retailer has lots of cute, affordable items – like this necklace that was sent to me which is perfect for a holiday gift for yourself or somebody else.
5. iPhone 5S Adventure case by Woodchuck - $59.99 – Made out of a workshop in Minneapolis, Woodchuck creates tech accessories out of 100% real wood. This tribal patterned case is made out of locally sourced Mahogany, Birch, Rosewood, and Recycled Plastic. Pretty cool, right?
6. Minnesota Beatle Project, Vol. 5 – More local music on the list! The fifth volume of the Minnesota Beatle Project was just released and consists of 13 tracks of local musicians covering Beatles songs. There are a limited number of copies available for purchase and all proceeds benefit music education programs in Minnesota. A few of the artists on the album include Actual Wolf, The Suburbs and The Okee Dokee Brothers.
7. iPad wood skin by Woodchuck – $39.99 – Another item from Woodchuck. I love the look of this iPad skin made out of birch wood. Clean, sleek and modern.
8. e. floyd fringe earrings – $25 – You can find these statement earrings at b. resale. They’re locally made and are made of out bike tires. Love me some innovative upcycling.
9. Minnesota Burrito t-shirt by MSP Clothing – $25 – You’re not truly Minnesotan unless who know about some good old-fashioned hotdish. Celebrate the Minnesota burrito by donning it on your body, eh!
10. Old Gulph wool fedora by Goorin Bros. – $125 – I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect wool brimmed hat and I think I’ve just found it. I’ll be adding this to my personal wish list (hint-hint, Santa.) Go and peruse this cool hat shop in Uptown – they have all kinds of styles for ladies and gents.
11. Lumberjack bottle stopper from Patina – $11.95 – What a cute host(ess) gift! Patina has all kinds of great trinkets that it’s impossible to walk in there and not find something fun to gift someone. But this little axe is especially adorable.
12. Brass arrow cuff bracelet by Larissa Loden – $25 – Larissa Loden’s designs can be found in many Twin Cities boutiques (Cliche, I Like You, Patina, Electric Fetus, to name a few.) I’m obsessed with all of her arrow designs, especially this cuff bracelet. Pretty, right?
Hope these spark some ideas and inspire you to shop local this holiday season. Happy shopping and happy holidays!